bbPress was one of the first forum softwares developed keeping WordPress in mind. But it was available as a standalone project and therefore integrating it with WordPress needed some technical knowledge and you may not always have success at the first attempt plus it required a bit of learning curve. But not anymore because yesterday, bbPress launched 2.0 beta 1 version which is now available as a full featured WordPress plugin. Since its a beta version, don’t install it on production or live site.
Here are some of the features available:
- Seamless integration with your WordPress site and theme
- Integrated admin interface for forums, topics, and replies
- Split and merge topics within a single forum
- Shortcodes to help you customize where your forums appear
- Currently comes with a child theme of TwentyTen to get you started
- Keep track of changes with topic and reply revisions
- Dashboard widget shows you a shapshot of your forums at a glance
- Automatically creates a new ‘Moderator’ role for your forums
- Mark topics as favorites and view them within your new user profile
- Receive emails when new replies are posted to topics you subscribe to
- Anonymous posting lets you open your community up to the world
- Includes widgets to show latest forum activity
- Comes with an importer to move your existing integrated forums over
There are lots of features available for Developers as well. You can check them out at the release post. If you find any bug, you can report it to the bbPress trac.