From my own 2 Years of Blogging experience and of reading hundreds of such articles, I can say that there are certain category of posts which no reader would like to read. Here is a list of such post types so that you can avoid writing such type of posts which will make readers go away or be put off.
- Personal Posts – Unless its your personal blog, posts about yourself, your life or your joys or sorrows will put off a reader instantly. Readers want content and information for which they come to your blog not to know what’s happening in your life currently. So avoid talking about yourself.
- Excuse Posts – Readers don’t want to read why you are not posting regularly or why you are posting too much. I have made few such posts and belive me, they are useless. Just maintain a flow of posts and keep writing without such excuse posts. They may work for very big bloggers but not for everyday blogger like us.
- Prewritten Review Posts – Many bloggers inorder to make a quick buck just copy paste prewritten review posts available on forums like DP or even review sites. Such posts only fetch you $5-10 per post and are too general, biased and look automated to praise a service. Such posts don’t have any images and contain only 2-3 links with heavy keywords. They may fetch you money but you loose respect from readers bigtime.
- Sponsors Thanks or Commentators Thanks Post – Just to please people so that your site remains popular, such posts are made regularly by many bloggers. I find them pretty useless. Sponsors already get too much adspace around the blog’s real-estate, I don’t think a thank you post on top of it is necessary at all.
- Essay Type Posts – Avoid posts which exceed 750 or 1000 words. Beyond a point, reader loses interest and if you give away too much of information. Mind you that you are not writing a encyclopaedia’s article but a blog post. Such long posts also reduce the chances of discussion since you have covered almost everything about the subject.
- Unformatted Posts – Posts which are unformatted or poorly written with a single long paragraph or without any image, bullet or lists put off a reader. Readers like to scan and read and it is easier to understand if the post is properly formatted.
If you have any other type of posts to share which should be avoided, please comment about them. These posts types are those which I observed in last few years of blogging.